7.24.2009

Sour Cream Waffles

You can't tell me this doesn't look appetizing. Can you only imagine waking up to a weekend breakfast in bed and this is in front of you with a nice cup of coffee. Well Mr. Foodie was the recipient of this waffle one very recent Saturday morning. I tell he has it soo good. He is one lucky guy (but I'm also one lucky gal too).
I stumbled upon this recipe a while back on 101 cookbooks which she found in one of her cookbooks by Art Smith (previous personal chef to Oprah). I had been reading recipes and noticed how much sour cream was used in baking. Apparently using sour cream makes the baked goods lighter and less dense, as well as providing additional moisture. So naturally I thought this waffle would be delicious and light. I was initially very eager to make this. Unfortunately it remained in my recipe folder for quite some time before I even tested it.
You see, the only reason there is a waffle maker in my kitchen is because Mr. Foodie had it before we started living together. Having a waffle maker was never on my radar. I was never going to actually make waffles. Waffles was something I occasionally ate when I went out to brunch. Yet being in this "I can make anything frame of mind"...and of course wanting to upstage Mr. Foodie as he is the self-proclaimed "King of Breakfast"... this waffle was added to the "must try" recipe list. After making lemon ricotta pancakes and french toast, I knew said waffle maker would have to be put to good use...by me...to show Mr. Foodie I was the "Queen of Breakfast". We can share, right?

Well I cranked out a beautifully, golden brown waffle that was just as satisfying as one I could've ordered at a restaurant. Although the addition of sour cream doesn't do anything to enhance the flavor of the waffle, it did help create a "lighter" waffle which tasted Yummy. Even with all the delicious additions (powdered sugar, syrup and cool whip) this waffle didn't sit heavy in my stomach, which I am particularly pleased about. So this breakfast item will now be added to the weekend rotation. Next time, maybe with some fresh berries or fruit compote.

* I cut the recipe in half and got 2 1/2 waffles. I didn't want to have leftover waffles and this amount was perfect for two people. If you want more waffles, just double the recipe below.

Sour Cream Waffle
(You will need a waffle iron for this recipe)
serves 2
Printable Recipe

3/4 cup of flour, plus 4 tablespoons
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup of milk
1/4 cup of sour cream
2 large eggs
powdered sugar, cool whip and syrup to serve

1. Heat the waffle iron as instructed in the manual. Lightly spray the grids with cooking spray.
2. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Create a well in the center of the ingredients
3. In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk together the melted butter, milk, sour cream and eggs until well combined
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the well of dry ingredients. Whisk the batter until smooth. Do not over mix
5. When waffle iron is ready, pour 1/4 cup of batter into each section of the waffle iron and close waffle iron to cook. Cook until waffle is golden brown, approximately 3-4 minutes.
6. Remove the waffle from waffle iron and serve immediately with powdered sugar, cool whip and syrup (or whatever else you like to serve with waffles)

adapted by Art Smith by 101cookbooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment