7.30.2009

Angel Hair Pasta w/ Fresh Tomato Sauce



These beautiful tomatoes are courtesy of the garden Mr. Foodie started on our deck this Spring. Yes. You read that right. On our deck. Which has been taken over by tomatoes, bell peppers, squash (that unfortunately hasn't produced anything) and various herbs. All those large garden pots, coupled with the grill and small bistro table & chair set, has made for a cramped little area.

I'm not complaining though. No, really. I'm not. Because the sacrifice of space on the deck for a few months is overlooked when I can say I cooked something using fresh, homegrown vegetables...like these tomatoes.

As the tomatoes began to ripen, I started thinking what I could make with them. I wanted a recipe that would not "cook" the tomatoes but preferably keep them in their raw, freshest form. I considered a pico de gallo salsa, but thought I'd save that for the roma tomatoes we're growing. Then I stumbled upon this recipe for Cappelinni (the fancy term for angel hair pasta) with Fresh Tomato Sauce. I thought this would be perfect because then I could also use some of the basil we are growing.

This recipe was very simple and quick to make. I was initially thrown off because it instructed me to grate the tomato using a box grater, like shredding a block of cheese. I mean, I had never heard of that before, yet alone used this technique. But it was quite simple and produced a nice, simple sauce of tomato juice and pulp. The sauce was surprisingly flavorful with the addition of garlic, salt and lemon juice. After topping the finished pasta dish with a handful of cilantro, a sprinkling of salt and extra virgin olive oil, you end up with this wonderfully light summer supper. It definitely highlighted the raw, fresh flavor of the tomatoes. Just what I was looking for to embody the "summer vegetables"
Angel Hair Pasta w/ Fresh Tomato Sauce
serves 4
Printable Recipe

1 clove of garlic
3 lb ripe tomatoes
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon sea salt (you can use regular table salt if that's all you have)
1 teaspoon sugar (optional but I encourage it. It adds another dimension to the sauce)
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1 lb anger hair pasta
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
extra virgin olive oil for dressing

Mince the garlic (using a microplane or the smallest holes in the box grater). Mash it into a paste using a pinch of salt. Set aside
Core and chop two thirds of the tomatoes. Set aside. Halve the remaining tomatoes, then rub the sides of the tomatoes against the large holes of the box grater. Grate tomatoes into a large bowl, reserving pulp but

discarding the skin.

Toss the pulp with the chopped tomatoes. Add the garlic salt paste, lemon juice, sea salt, sugar and black pepper. Let the sauce stand until ready to toss with pasta, at least 10 minutes. This will allow the flavors to blend.


While the tomato sauce is standing, boil salted water to cook pasta in. Remember to boil enough water so the pasta will not stick together. Add the pasta when the water is rapidly boiling and cook for approximately 5 minutes. Angel hair pasta is thin and does not take a long time to cook.

Drain pasta in a colander and immediately add to tomato mixture, tossing well to combine. Sprinkle with basil and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt before serving.

recipe adapted by Gourmet magazine

2 comments: