4.28.2009

Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta


As I told you earlier, I have given up my US Magazine subscription in exchange for various food magazines. Gourmet, Cooking Light, Bon Appetit, just to name a few. I guess you can say I took it to the extreme, going from no food magazines to four yearly subscriptions.

Well all that means is that I have more great recipes to share with you, taste tested by myself and Mr. Foodie.

To see how even more addicted and compulsive I am, this first recipe from a food magazine that I am sharing with you, isn't even from one I have subscribed to. Just a random special edition Fine Cooking magazine that I purchased while at the bookstore.


This special edition is entitled Eat Smart with Ellie Krieger. It features 75 recipes from her best selling cookbook, The Food You Crave. The special edition magazine also offers tips on how to stock your pantry and make meals at a moments notice. I first heard of Ellie Kreiger on the food network and her show, Healthy Eating. I had tried a few of her recipes in the past and enjoyed them. So when I saw this opportunity to get 75 of her recipes in one magazine, I couldn't deny myself.

And this recipe for Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta didn't let me down. This is a great, quick, weeknight meal. It literally took me 30 minutes...and that includes peeling the shrimp. Now some of you may be a little unsure of this dish because of the feta cheese, as was Mr. Foodie, but I tell you it is a wonderful combination of flavors and textures. But as always, he quickly became a believer. Served with white (or brown) rice, this dish is very appetizing and filling. You'll definitely want to add it to your collection.

Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil

1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 14oz cans of diced tomatoes, with their juices
1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, minced
1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined (and I pre-season the shrimp with a little Old Bay seasoning)
1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Heat the olive oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and cook, stirring until softened, approximately 3 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for about 5 minutes, until the tomato juices begin to thicken.

Remove from the heat. Stir in parsley and shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the feta over the top. Bake until the shrimp are cooked through and the cheese melts, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven and serve with rice.
adapted from Ellie Krieger, Eat Smart






ENJOY!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. This looks great...going to try this next week!
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! I actually have a similar recipe from Real Simple. I use cilantro instead of parsley. Pretty yummy!!!

    TW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shrimp baked with tomatoes and feta is so good!

    ReplyDelete