4.08.2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup

The calendar says it's April but it feels more like October outside. This has felt like the longest fall/winter ever and I can't wait for warmer weather...on a consistent basis. So far it has been a tease. One day it's 70 degree weather, and I can wear flip flops, then two days later I'm back to wearing corduroy pants and boots.

Today was extremely windy here in Atlanta. After getting home from work, I wanted to eat something that would warm me up but would also be quick to make. I settled on this chicken fajita tortilla soup.


I have prepared more soups this winter than I have probably eaten in my adult life. Soups can be so simple to make, so diverse and filling. They're also great leftovers to take to work for lunch. And with the idea of creating a soup library (see post on 3/15) I fell in love with making extra to freeze. That way I have a quick and hearty meal already prepared.

Even though I prepared this dish because it's cold outside (especially since I like to kick up the heat a little with an extra jalapeno pepper) this soup is great year round. As a matter of fact, it was last spring when I first made this soup. So give this recipe a try and let me know what you think, comments and critiques are always welcome.

Mr. Foodie was a fan, so it has been added to my repertoire (that makes my recipe collection sound so elaborate)

Chicken Fajita Tortilla Soup
Printable Recipe

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds of chicken tenders, two packages
1 tablespoon coriander
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme (or you can use dried)
Salt and pepper
1 onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1 bell pepper, quartered and thinly sliced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1 can (28 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 quart chicken stock
1 bag of white tortilla chips
1 cup of shredded jack or cheddar cheese
1 ripe avocado, diced
1 lime, juiced
cilantro and sour cream for serving

Cut the chicken tenders into 1-inch pieces, on a diagonal. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Heat a large saucepan or stockpot with extra-virgin olive oil, over medium-high heat.


Add the chicken and allow to brown, approximately five minutes. Then add coriander and thyme, stirring twice.

Then add the onion, bell pepper and jalapeno. Season the veggies with salt and pepper.

Cook 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add the can tomatoes and chicken stock to heat through. Let soup simmer for approximately 10 minutes.


While the soup is heating through, prepare the bowls for serving. Lightly crush some tortilla chips into bottom of soup bowls. Top the chips with a handful of cheese. In a separate bowl, toss the avocado with the lime juice (this will help keep the avocado from turning brown). Ladle the soup onto the chips and cheese. Garnish the soup with the avocado, cilantro and sour cream

No comments:

Post a Comment