3.19.2009

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes w/ Blueberries

I definitely do most breakfast experiments on the weekend. But if I'm feeling especially grand or want to remind Mr. Foodie what a great catch I am, I'll make a "fancy" breakfast during the week. Otherwise, it's oatmeal or an egg sandwich on our way out of the door.

Now you can wake up this weekend and go to brunch at a cute, neighborhood restaurant. Or you can wake up this weekend and make these fluffy, not too sweet, easy, lemon ricotta pancakes. My vote is for the latter and after you finish reading this post I think you will agree.

One of our growing favorites for weekend brunch is Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberries. We went to Miami a couple of years ago for my b-day and one morning we ate breakfast at a restaurant called the Cafeteria, which I believe has now closed. I ordered these lemon ricotta pancakes with fresh blueberries and boy where they awesome. I had never had pancakes that were so light and fluffy and I was loving the subtle lemon flavor to them.



Now this was before I really started cooking but I definitely remembered these pancakes. Every time we went out to breakfast, I would eagerly peruse the menu in search of pancakes with ricotta cheese. Then one Saturday morning, I was going through my ritual of watching the food channel and previewing what the chefs were making, when I realized Bobby Flay was making Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Raspberries. I was so excited, I quickly got online and jotted down the recipe.




These are really our favorite pancakes. I now make them quite often and love to brag about them because they sound so "fancy". I even made them for my 92 y/o grandmother, who doesn't like "fancy" food at all, and even she liked them. Served with the fresh blueberries (or strawberries because that was what I had in the fridge) warmed lemon curd and a sprinkle of powdered sugar, this dish is definitely a pleasure to wake up to and get your day started. Give them a try and let me know what you think.


Lemon Ricotta Pancakes w/ Blueberries
makes 5-6 pancakes
Printable Recipes

¾ cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 lemon, zested and juiced
Butter, for griddle
1 jar prepared lemon curd
pint of fresh blueberries
powdered sugar

Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and sugar) in a small bowl. In a separate, larger bowl, whisk to combine the remaining ingredients (ricotta cheese, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice). Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined.

Heat a nonstick pan or griddle. Once hot, add butter. Pour approximately ¼ cup of batter for each pancake in pan. Cook on both sides until golden brown*. Continue until all batter is used. Keep pancakes warm in the oven until you are done.

Empty lemon curd in a small bowl and warm in the microwave for approximately 30 seconds, stirring once. Drizzle over pancakes. Complete pancakes by topping with blueberries and sprinkling powdered sugar.

* Only flip the pancakes once. It is time to flip the pancakes when you begin seeing air bubbles in the batter.

adapted by Bobby Flay

2 comments:

  1. Those pancakes look really good. I am going to have to try some ricotta pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kevin, I feel so honored that you viewed my blog...and liked it. I hope you enjoy the pancakes.

    ReplyDelete