7.09.2010

Classic Banana Bundt Cake

I am determined to make this cake for my wedding reception.
We have decided that we don't really want a big, traditional wedding cake.

We'll probably have a simple two tier cake for the obligatory photo-op.  Hopefully, my dear friend at Sweet Tooth Cake Design will do the honor since I've been asking her for two years already :)

My vision is for a homemade dessert table.  My mom's delicious poundcake, my aunt's secret recipe red velvet cake, my matron of honor's mom's peach cobbler.  A couple of other things I would like to make which I haven't quite decided on just yet.  But definitely this Classic Banana Bundt Cake

It may sound a little adventurous for me, the bride, the contribute items to the dessert spread but it is such a simple cake with minimal steps.  The most time consuming part is the baking.  I just need to make sure I have a few very ripe bananas, which I always seem to have around and have learned to freeze for smoothies, banana bread and now this cake.

I have been wanting to make this cake from some time now, wondering if there would be a big difference in taste from banana bread.  There was a distinctly lighter texture and slightly sweeter taste than bread, but one things for sure, it was de-li-cious.

I took half of it to work and it was a hit. And believe me, my co-workers wouldn't hesitate to tell me if it wasn't good.

Classic Banana Bundt Cake
Printable Recipe

3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs, room temperature
4 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter and lightly flour classic bundt pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt and set aside

Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment or hand mixer with a large bowl, beat butter until creamy.  Add the sugar and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.  Add the vanilla and then the eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each egg.  Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the bananas.  Finally, add half of the dry ingredients (the batter will curdle, don't be worried).  Add all the sour cream and then the rest of the mixture until blended together.

Scrape the batter into the bundt pan. Rap the pan on the counter to avoid air bubbles in the batter and smooth out the top.  Slide in oven (do not place on a baking sheet for even cooking) and bake for 65-75 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

Transfer cake to a rack and cool for about 15 minutes before removing the cake from the pan.  Invert the cake and continue to allow it to cool completely on the rack.  Cover until the next day as the cake will be even better.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. You could put a cream cheese icing or lemon glaze on top but I loved the simplicity of the powdered sugar.

originally adapted from Dorie Greenspan's cookbook via the foodlibrarian

2 comments:

  1. My goodness!!!! I will definitely make sure you make this cake for your wedding reception. Matron of Honor/Sous-chef. It looks so good and the pictures are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dyan, Sweettooth has the "obligatory photo cake" covered. I'll be happy to do other desserts too. -Melanie

    ReplyDelete