11.09.2009

Healthy Black Bean Burger

There are times when I just crave a good, juicy, beef cheeseburger, a la Fatburger (the L.A original though, the franchises here in Atlanta don't seem to have the same pizazz).


But this was not one of those times.

Although I would have to say that burger up there looks hearty and cheesey like those cheeseburgers I crave, it is hardly a beef burger.  Your eyes haven't fooled you (although the title of the post is a dead give away).  That patty is full of black beans, mushrooms and cheese.  A healthy...yet very satisfying alternative.  And a great vegetarian (or vegan if you use soy cheese) option for those who don't eat meat...i.e Mr. Foodie. I typically make turkey burgers at home but when I saw this burger on the brown eyed baker's blog, I immediately bookmarked the page and knew I had to make these sooner than later. And boy was I happy that I didn't wait.

Now I am not new to the concept of black bean burgers.  Black beans are one of my favorites.  Thinking back, the first black bean burger I had was several years back at Chili's.  I immediately fell into adoration with the thing.  Unlike several of my friends who are fans of the vegetarian burger at Houston's, for me the grainy, chewy texture doesn't ignite my tastebuds.  But here, it's the smooth texture of beans I love and this recipe is so chock full of flavor it's hard not to embrace.  Topped with a little chipotle salsa and another slice of cheese (I can never have too much of that) and I have myself an awesome alternative to that beef or even turkey burger.

Black Bean Burger
Printable Recipe

4 slices of whole wheat sandwich bread, lightly toasted
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 medium onion, finely chopped
8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 15-oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
Hamburger buns of choice (I used kaiser rolls and then English muffins for the leftovers. Both worked well)
Sliced cheese (I used provolone) and sour cream for toppings (optional)

Tear the toasted bread into pieces and put in food processor.  Process into crumbs.  Remove to another bowl and set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium heat in a large skillet.  Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden.  Add the mushrooms, garlic, cumin and paprika to the skillet.  Cook until the mushrooms begin to release their juices, approximately 4-6 minutes more.  Remove from heat to let cool slightly.

When cool, add  the mixture to the food processor or blender, along with the black beans. Pulse until combined, but not smooth. You still want to have some chunks of beans.  Scoop mixture into bowl with bread crumbs.


Add shredded cheese to the mixture and season with salt and pepper. Fold ingredients together and divide into four equal portions (this will make four rather large burger, so you can divide the mixture into smaller portions if you choose). With damp hands, shape each portion into patties.


Heat a skillet with 1 tablespoon canola oil. Place the patties in the skillet and cook until heated through and crisp on the outside, approximately 5 minutes on each side.


Serve burgers on bread of choice. Top with salsa to serve, if desired.

adapted from browneyedbaker.com originally from culinary in the country

1 comment:

  1. That really looks tasty. I think that will be on my list when I get in the mood to cook.
    T.Smith

    ReplyDelete