10.06.2009

Avocado Salad

I promised I'd tell you about the avocado salad next and I am being true to my word. This recipe is too easy and too good to keep it to myself.



A nice, simple salad with minimal fuss but enormous taste.  The salad itself is just two simple ingredients.  It's the homemade salad dressing that kicks this salad up a notch (just a little sound bite from Emeril...heehee). I've made a few types of salad dressings but the cumin in this dressing adds such a lovely smokey flavor that it really makes this salad.

I typically like my salad with a few more ingredients and a little crunch (tomatoes, cucumbers, bacon bits...just to name a few).  This salad is more up my mom's alley.  She tends to have a salad with every dinner, so if she doesn't always have "salad toppings" on hand, she will make a "Poor Man's Salad".  Her moniker, not mine.  It usually consists of lettuce and dressing, so I guess this salad is actually one step above hers. Although I don't think she would mind if I added just one topping.

Avocado Salad w/ Cumin-Lime Dressing
Printable Recipe
serves 4

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper
1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded (or you can use the pre shredded bagged lettuce)
2 ripe avocados, diced

In a bowl, mix together olive oil, mayonnaise, lime juice, sugar and cumin.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
In a separate bowl, toss the lettuce with the dressing.  Top the lettuce with the avocado and add a pinch of salt and pepper to the avocado.

adapted from rachaelraymag.com

No comments:

Post a Comment